At least on the face of it!
Inherently, we won’t! And we can’t… The top 5 indications for this follow…
- Façade: We have started naming our kids Amit / Abhishek trying to make their names look more cosmopolitan.
Fact: For every 1 Amit, there are still 99 names with a Balaji or a Sriram or a Subramaniam (with variations of n or m to end the word!) or Vidya or Ramya…
- Façade: We love eating pizzas and butter naans, albeit in Saravana Bhavan!
Fact: That, and we also still love our puliyodharai from Parthasarathy Swamy Temple, specially standing twice in the queue with a changed outfit to fool the distribution point of contact, or the curd rice from Anjaneya temple (we can bring the aavakkai pickle in our pocket)
- Façade: We always seem to determine the raga behind any song, including a Led Zeppelin hard rock number.
Fact: We feign knowledge of Carnatic music while all we have ever learnt is Violin or Mrudangam during a compulsory 40 minutes-per-week art education class till the 7th Std. in school!
- Façade: We have our representations in varied industries including cinema, music, literature, sport etc.
Fact: We still swear and die by an IIT or BITS engineering degree and an MS from the US! It is another thing that we drop all of it to get into some software job or an MBA!
- Façade: We network actively through Orkut and Facebook and find matches through online dating.
Fact: A lot of the match making happens courtesy our friendly neighbourhood mama and mami in house functions and temple visits! And the groom typically works in the US or has some connection with IT!